Monday 3 June 2013

Fabularium :D Day 1...

So today guys I had such an awesome day that I just had to blog! If you read my last blog you would know that I am taking part in a summer activity ran by my tutor Glenn called Fabularium and just OH MY GOD. It is sooo much fun!
Today we began with a few folk songs that are always performed when it comes to this time of year, and we basically worked on harmonies and splitting the group up to sing at different times, all at the same time, if that makes sense. Now I'm not much of singer, but the tune, melodies and atmosphere it creates just gets you moving and having a good time :)!
Then..The mats came out, which meant one thing! Acrobatics. We obviously started with a warm up so we didn't get injured. Which also included planking and a balance exercise where I have never felt such a burn in my core - six pack is coming on :p. We then explored balancing with different parts of our body like a hand stand but on the shoulder or the elbow. Going to explore handstands was where it got incredibly interesting. Now the exercise was to handstand and lean against another person's back to support you. Easy right? But this was just setting up for a much bigger exercise. Before I knew what was happening my tutor had called my name and got me to the centre of the room. He laid down on the floor with his knees up and you know.. He only wanted me to hold his knees... and do a handstand on to them!... Huh?
For those of you who know me, you know I'd be like "Ok" and do it... which I did :p. This actual stunt is called a candlestick and will be one of the moves performed by the wagon in the town centre. Now the first time I tried it I gave a little to much power and ended up going over and scaring the crap out of everyone watching. However this was the next part to the stunt - a walkover. Yeah.. I totally knew that was what I was meant to do :p.
We then tried several over stunts - one where I start on the floor then get thrown up into the air and land on my feet. Another, where you handstand behind someone and they flip you over their head on to your feet.  We also did the simpler things like cartwheels and roundoffs. We also rolled over someones back as they stood up - a lot of fun but the floor does come as a little bit of a shock :p.

After lunch we then came back to the thing I have been desperately wanting to learn since September - stilt walking!!! I waited patiently for my turn, and helped my friend Lauren around the space making sure she didn't fall as we had a few who ended up wither on their face or bum !! Then it was finally my turn :D and you know what at first I was like oh my, and my heart was beating and it was sooo wobbly. But by the end of it I walking like you would down the street...well maybe not quite. But it was sooo much fun. Obviously you have to learn the technique first and it will take a lot of practice to take it out into performance. But if your willing to put in the time and effort why not? I'm even thinking about buying some stilts of my own - do you know they fall under the category of painters equipment? You learn something new everyday eh ;).

Ahhh today was soooo good :) - sneaky peek of me on stilts --->
The guy on my left is my tutor Glenn and the other is a second year called Nick who was kind enough to help me round and grab me whenever I was heading floor bound :P. 



I'm not trying to say I'm tough and nothing scares me, because believe me some things scare me more than you can imagine. But if there is one thing I have learnt over the past year, it's to not let fear stand in the way of anything. If your scared just throw yourself into it and try not to think about it. And I can bet you, you'll come out on the other side happier and proud.
So go out there people and do something that makes your heart beat that little bit faster.
Have fun adrenaline seekers...

People say they are jealous because I'm having so much fun, but that's only because I'm taking every opportunity that is thrown at me. Especially in your first year - never let anything pass you by, and you won't regret it. You may be exhausted and have a major breakout on your face due to stress. But who really cares? I don't - I'm loving life. Sleep is just something you have to give up when your a student and phsstt you can sleep when your old.  And you'll look back on your first year and think dayumm I've done and learnt so much. You'll also be respected for your hard work and enthusiasm which is never a bad thing.

AND if you are around Coventry and a performing arts lover like myself... come down on either the 13th, 14th or 15th June (or all three) to the town centre to see me and my colleges running around, flipping, stunting and laughing our heads off. And of course give me a shout out :)..hopefully see you there.

More Fabularium updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment