Friday 30 November 2012

Empire - Work In Progress Showing

Okay, so as I mentioned in my last blog, I went to the Warwick Arts Centre to see a work in progress showing of a production called Empire. Now, this was my second showing of work in progress that I had been to and to be honest my first one didn't go so well. It was a production called Hoke's Bluff and not knowing what to expect I went in really opened minded. Now this wasn't necessarily a good thing as I then came up with the illusion that it actually was all an act that it was "work in progress". That they were using scripts and going wrong all on purpose. I thought that was an amazing idea...and when I found out that this wasn't the case, my heart sunk a little. So, my first experience was a little bit of a downer.
However, not letting that stop me I went along...(the free ticket may have tempted me too) and I am so glad I did, because it was such a good experience. It was completely different to the first showing I went to. At first I was quite uncomfortable as I sat right in the front row with my friend Emma, and the three actors sat right in front of us, so it was just a little awkward. There were two men and a woman, and the first thing they said to us was, that after two weeks of rehearsal, they actually had no concrete material. Which I thought was absolutely brilliant. If you're a theatre student you will know how frustrating it is to sit in hours of rehearsals and just come up with nothing (it happens to the best of us, don't worry). So to hear that from a professional team was actually really refreshing. So, basically what they had done was two hours before this showing, brainstormed all the ideas they could think of. And they were going to try them out. Now.
So, I am not going to talk you through the whole thing as that could just get even more boring, I am just going to talk about the things they mentioned that really interested me, and if you're interested in theatre, will hopefully interest you too.
The first thing they wanted to achieve was to create a production that has the same amount of enthusiasm you get from coming to a showing. This is interesting because with an actual finished production, you have a trailor, posters, and generally an idea of what you are about to see. But with a showing, you have a name and a company...and that's pretty much it. It is exciting and you do wonder whether you will be walking out half way through, but you go willingly none the less. But how do you get a whole theatre audience to come to a production with a just a name and no other information...and pay to see it. It's a tough task...and it will be testing people's genuine love for the theatre. Are you willing to pay a substantial amount to go to a production you know nothing about? It's a tough one isn't it?
The next issue they targeted was getting the audience to get invovled without telling or asking them to directly. They got this inspiration from a produciton they went to see, where the actors were stood still on stage for quite some time, and this random woman from the audience just got up and joined them on stage in the pose. Then, when they eventually carried on she just went back to her seat. Now the rest of the audience were confused, thinking was that meant to happen? Now in a cast interview it was revealed that it wasn't, and when they found this woman to interview, it turned out she just had this sudden urge to join them. What an achievement, to get someone so into the performance that they literally just have to join you on stage. But how do you do it? Get them to over come the nervousness and uncomfotableness and get up on stage. In front of everyone. Would you ever do it? I think I could, but I would really, really have to be inspired and taken by what was being performed.
Another thing I noticed was that they kept the curtains open of the place they were performing, so everyone walking past was staring in and it was a little distracting. At the end they had a discussion on the performance and I asked them why they did this. Their response was they wanted us to see ourselves. Now, it hadn't even crossed my mind that I could see my reflection. They didn't really have a reason for it, they just wanted us to...which I guess is ok.

The main bulk of their piece was quite interesting as it was about the empire of theatre. That you have a theatre, then a stage, then the production team, then the actors, then the audience, then finally the workers. They are all part of the theatre - so why is it that the workers never get to see the production? So their idea was to over throw the empire and take over a theatre for the night. Replace all the workers and make them the audience. I thought this was a real revolutionary idea, and I am really intrigued to see how this production develops. I asked them if they would be coming back and showing their progression and production, and since they have literally toured the world in a week (they'd already been to Australia and Russia!), they didn't really know - but they took my email and they are going to keep me updated with all their ideas and I will know when they come back to Warwick. So I am practically going to go on this journey with them and I am so excited :). They are planning to have it all done in two years, as their rehearsals are part time every six months as they all have a lot on, so this is going to be a really interesting journey. So I will keep you updated, and hopefully have a show to review at the end of it.
Oh, and we also got chocolate cake and tea whilst we chated with the actors which I thought was a lovely personal touch - and no one is going to turn down cake, well I am certainly not (That reminds me - must go to the gym!). Me and Emma were actually the last two to leave as we just had so much to say. What I thought was actually really nice was that they all were interested in where we came from. So it wasn't a one sided conversation, they actually were as interested in what we were doing as what we were with they were doing. It's alway nice when you come across that in the theatre, because as students in talks, you sometimes get looked down on. But when they appreciate your company...it's really...fulfilling. We are the future generation of theatre after all, and it's nice for people to observe that fact. You feel alot more appreciated and it makes you feel good :).

So, my advice to you in this blog, would be to never let anything put you off going to a show, as you just don't know what your going to take out of it. And whether it be good or bad you will always get something out of it - so never think of it as money wasted. And if there are any showings of work in progress near you - definitely take the opportunity and go to see them. It gives you the chance to see professionals doing what you do in your classes and it is so refreshing. You are inspired, and sometimes even get contacts out of it.

Happy Watching ;)
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment