Saturday 1 December 2012

What I do at University

Ok, so I've literally just got back from a street dance rehearsal as we are performing tomorrow and I am just a little tired...and I have a whole essay to write, so I am going to try and do this quickly. Hope it makes sense.
I'm basically going to fill you guys in on what I actually do at university, as there is sooo much you can do. Everyone should take all the opportunities they can, and they will have the most fun. I absolutely love university! I'm never bored and I've met so many amazing people.
This may be boring, but it is definitely a good blog to look at if you are planning on going to uni, as it will give you an idea of whats out there for you to take advantage of. I've colour coded the different sections so you can skip around to whats relevant and things, so enjoy :P.
Anyway on to what I do...

Right in university I obviously study my degree which is Theatre and Professional Practice. This will take up most of your time. I'm in four days a week at the moment, however your timetable changes every semester, which in university you have 3 of. With no half terms, which sounds terrible but believe me you don't even realise that you were meant to have one. The time has gone so fast and I literally can't believe I'm almost at the end of my first term! In another blog I will discuss what I do on my degree in a lot more detail, and settle the debate that drama school is better than university. Your valid to your own opinion but it may not be fact, just saying ;).
Along side our degrees, we do an add-vantage module.This is a new thing that Coventry University is trying so you may not neccessarily do this at your university. It is basically something extra that will make you unique to everyone else with the same sort of degree as you. You can do anything from learning to be a pilot, to a language, to creative writing. The idea is you do something that is in a completely different genre to your degree so you cover a wider field. You do a different module each year, and they run over one or two out of three semesters. For my module this year I am taking Volunteering in Primary Schools. Now compared to many other modules this is very spaced out, and you not in every week of a semester, however it does run over two. The idea is that at the end you will do 10 hours of guided reading with a child at a chosen primary school. Before this you have to sort out all the important things like your CRB check and your placement at a school ect. I have my induction at my school on the 10th and I start my 10 hours in the new year, so I will keep you updated. The reason I took this module is because, in the future, I would like to be a teacher alongside obviously acting and dancing. Now, even though I would like to teach children at a much older age, I thought this would be a good experience to see whether I am actually heading in the right direction. As even though I think I'll make a pretty damn good teacher...I could be wrong. So we will see in 2013 how it goes :).
The other course I do is called The Global Leaders Project. Now, I get to take this course free with my academic excellence scholarship, but it is normally £100. But, since it is free to me, why would I miss this opportunity? This course is based on making you more employable globally, and helping you to become a leader. Now this course is very highly looked at by employers and you learn some very good skills, so if you get the opportunity to do it - take it! I am going to try and not bore you so if you would like more information on this course please go to this link - http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/GLP/Pages/Home.aspx
Right, now we've come to the good bit. Alongside everything that you study, and take part in, your university will have societies. Now, it will take you a longgg time to pick which one you actually want to do as you really wont have time for more. In the first week youll have two fayres - The Freshers Fayre and The Societies Fair. At the society fayre you will sign up for every society that interests you, then you'll have a taster session. I had soo many I wanted to do including winter sports, athlectics, cheerleading, latin dance, musical theatre society...and then there was street dance. I tried everyone, and you would think because I am already a cheerleader, I would have chosen that. BUT.. to anyone to does cheerleading will know that from being a level 5 cheerleader..to then become a level 2, is just a massive no. So that went out the window. Street dance was actually the last one I tried but it kicked all the others arses..I am not even kidding. There will be one that does this for you, you just have to find it :). Now my first night of street dance was a social in a night club..and you should have seen them dance! They are the kind of people you want to look like in a club but just kind of fail at it :P. So after that I went to the taster session and just fell in love with it. We now train every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and we all do flash mobs in clubs every Monday. So societies do take up a lot of time, but they are so worth it, and you meet some really awesome people. Like everyone on street dance is amazing and we all get on really well. Its very different to other dance I've done and I'm still that little bit too elegant but I am getting there. If you would to see some choreo you can look on the Coventry Street Dance youtube page, however I have put a link below to some of the choreo I've been in. Our first performance is tomorrow (ahhh) so a video will be going up, and I will be blogging about how it all goes, so wish me luck ;).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdf2xQBpPk - I am the one in like a teal green :)

Now, there are a few more things that I will be doing in the future which I am sure to blog about. Like being in three of our third year plays next year. I am the part in one and minor parts in the others, so thats all exciting. And I also want to volunteer as a cybermentor which is basically counselling over the internet for students who are being bullied or having other problems. So I will be keeping you up to date with those too :).

So there you have it really... what I'm getting up to. Everyone says that these are the best years of our lives, so don't let them pass you by. My biggest piece of advice in this blog is to just do everything you can and want to (whilst keeping up on your work obviously). Yes, I am exhausted, but I will catch up on sleep in the breaks. This is the only time I will ever use this this terrible saying - YOLO...and for those of you who dont know what that means - you only live once.

So do everything you can and never regret anything.

Bye for now
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment