Sunday 2 December 2012

First Street Dance Performance

Well hey everyone! As I said yesterday, I will be blogging about my first street dance performance today..yay :).
But first...
I am unfortunately going to rant a little bit, so if you do not want to hear me moan just skip this little paragraph. So last night... I got ill. It sucks. I mean my first street dance performance ever, and I'm ill for it. Brilliant. And its the whole shebang - throat ears head nose voice stomach...I think maybe even eyes at some point. Literally everything it could effect it has. So naturally I couldn't sleep. I could  not stop coughing, my eyes were watering, I was lurching ... oh wow.. I sound soo attractive right now. So I am feeling very fragile, I'm missing home.. and I really just want a cuddle. And there is no one to cuddle me. *cry*
Anyway moving on to the better part of my day, the street dance team and I had our first proper performance of the year today. Now, over the past couple of months we have been learning various choreos from all the teachers, and we...well they...have finally put them together and made a performance :). I will put a link below to our youtube channel as most of the choreo is on there. We basically performed at half time of a football tournament. I don't really have much information on what that was, or how it went... the only thing I really cared about was performing so sorry if you wanted to know more about that. I think it was possibly the recreational football teams of the uni...or something like that..all coming together for a tournament. .Unfortunately we got there at 11, and were expecting some place to rehearse but there wasn't one, so we just sat around for about an hour (It was quite amusing to see the ex president of street dance in goal..we did all stand at the door laughing at him for a while) until we got the hall to rehearse in, while the footballers showered, ate...did whatever they needed to do really. We went through it twice, I think (sorry my mind is foggy from this stupid cold) and then we got on to performing. What was really nice was that at the last minute the teachers actually joined us in their choreo - I think they should be able to perform it as it's all their hard work and they bring it justice more than we do. Not all of the teachers were there unfortunately,but the ones that were there joined in.
How do you think it went? I hear you ask. As a group evaluation I would say everyone did very very well. The choreo was performed with the most energy I've seen and we got a very good response from the audience. Even when the music cut out, not just once, but twice (!) no one panicked and everyone carried on with a level of professionalism. And we did get some lovely praise from our President which is always a good sign. We also got offered free food tonight at a restaurant as a thankyou..and I think everyone is there now as I write this. I couldn't go because I am feeling way too rough to eat..and i am gutted because its not often we all hang out together, and it was Indian, which I absolutely love, so I am a little down about that :(. But hopefully we'll do it again soon. Anyway-

My performance... I didn't go wrong on the choreo which is good :), but as for performing I know I can improve. When I say performing I do not mean performing the actual moves, I mean facial expression, attitude and that so called swag that seems to come soo easy to all our teachers. Until I can perform like them I will not be happy.The thing is, because I have been a cheerleader so long, I feel like the happy, smiley, cheekiness is drummed into me as how to perform. But..if I did that performing a street dance choreo I would just look like a crazy person. I would get noticed..but for all the wrong reasons. I am glad I have improvements to make though, as I feel people who think they know everything and are perfect at something are incredibly ignorant. You can always learn something new, and you can always improve. As for my improvements, I'm going to try my hardest and will keep you posted with a brutally honest account of how I feel I'm doing. We have another performance on Thursday in front of a much bigger audience, and hopefully everyone will be able to make it. So, I will be doing a blog on how it went and I feel I made any performing improvements.

There were quite a few people taking videos so as soon as one goes up I will post a link in my blog of the day, so you can all see it :).
And my little piece of advice today would be... always take some university work with you wherever you go. I wish I had taken one of my study books to read as I was sat there for an hour as then it would have been time spent wisely, and not time wasted. I have way too much to do right now, to sit around not doing anything. So learn from my mistakes :).
I am now off to make soup, as I feel that is an appropriate thing to eat when your ill, and then I am going to snuggle up in a big hoodie and feel sorry for myself. I might do some more of my theatre history essay, if I feel like it...but I probably won't.

Bye for now
xxx

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you guys did really well :) I wish I came to that one!
    I am even more gutted about the Indian. Just my luck that when I go home they decide to go out for a meal :(

    ReplyDelete