Sunday 9 December 2012

Wow...Have I been busy...

Ok, first off, sorry for not blogging in a very longgg time...well actually I think a week maybe... I have been incredibly busy. I should probably explain what I've been up to...Obviously with being at university near christmas all your deadlines come in, and you have a lot to do. With my assessment for the empty space happening on Monday and Tuesday my rehearsals have been endless - but good news is we've finished our performance devising soooo stresses have gone down a little, but only a little, as the performance date is rearing its ugly head. Actually, stresses will probably rise by the end of the day, as I have a rehearsal at 4.30pm and we have to get everything looking perfect as it may be our last rehearsal...and I haven't learnt my lines yettt..ohh dear.
For those of you who have never heard of the empty space before, it is a module we do in the first semester of term 1, and it's basically all about the actors and the stage. There are no props, costumes, scenery...anything other than the actors and the stage. This assessment is about putting all the skills we've learnt in the first term into our performance. You get given a script which you will have to cut down depending on the length...and basically just get let out into the wild until the performance date. We were given a script of "The Gold Bug" by Edgar Allan Poe, and it was 25 pages long! It took us a couple of rehearsals, but we eventually got it down to 8 pages. Our performance is a really mixed up genre, it's incredibly dark but at the same time you won't be able to sit through it without laughing at least 10 times. I play the charcater of a Jamaican doll called Peter, and my brother Joe is played by my friend and group member Aizah. Together we make the comical pair of servants called Jupiter. Originally Jupiter was one characater however we decided to split it. This takes some time to rearrange all the lines and everything but I would really reccomend it as it sets your piece away from everyone elses. Like I said the performance is on Monday or Tuesday - I will see if I can get someone to film it and I will put it up for you guys to see :).
Also in my last blog, I mentioned another street dance performance. And I am proud to say it went a lot better than the last one :) so I am improving slowly but surely. Just a tip though - if you're going to aim your performance at someone...try to swap it about a bit during the performance to avoid a pair of creepy guys who will not smiling at you for the rest of the night. And you will have to leave abruptly..without food - which - we had to pay for by the way. What is up with that ?! It should have at least been free for the performers. That might just have been me being high maintenance, but come on... I havent actually seen the videos for either performances yet, as they seem to have disappeared of the planet, but as soon as I get hold of one I will put it up or give you guys the link :).
The other thing that has been keeping me busy is my first university essay. It is part of our theatre histories module which runs over semesters one and two. You get to choose what era you write about so I thought I would do the era where it all started - Greek Theatre. Now I work best under pressure so I tend to leave things like this a little too late, and was up till about 3 in the morning doing it. But you know what, it has been proven that people that do essays last minute actually get a higher grade to people who took ages to do it, as they ramble less and get straight to the point. Now - this is not me saying leave everything till the last minute as you will die under the pressure, but just something to keep in mind when it is three in the morning and all you want to do is fall asleep on your laptop keyboard. Fingers crossed that I prove this fact right... I will let you know how it goes. If anyone is actually doing an essay like this and would like any tips on the best books and websites to use, or how to reference just contact me and I'll be happy to help. I'll leave my email and twitter below. :)
On top of all this, I've had performances to go to which I will review and blog about in the near future, my street dance class, my addvantage module (which was sooo messed up and I had to contact the school and sort everything out), global leaders, third year play rehearsals, sorting out housing for next year, maintaining a social life and just living basically.
So sorry this was a bit of a boring blog, but I thought I did owe some sort of explanation as to what I've been doing this past week. I have a few things to catch up on so look out for my upcoming blogs.
See you soon
Byeee :) xxxx

Twitter: @LisaNicole2012
Email: xlisa-stevens04x@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment