Friday 13 December 2013

Once Flown...Can You Call It Home?

It has been over a year since I flown the nest, and having taken a couple of months to get over the home sickness, I embraced my independence. There is a complete freedom in living by yourself, which is what I love about it.  You can come and go whenever you want it, have it as tidy or a messy as you like, have your friends round whenever... However there are a few things I completely miss about home. Seeing my mum everyday, central heating (gas and electric bills are an absolute bitch), home cooked food (as no matter how many times you cook chilli con carne it will never be as good as your mum's), my bunny rabbit Pebbles, my school/college friends, and that security of always feeling safe.
I have a beautiful house where I go to Uni, however the area can be a little rough sometimes. It has made me a lot more street wise though, now nothing really phases me. The tramp that lives at the end of my road who always asks me to "Come cook him dinner tonight" is just another man I pass everyday on the way home. I guess at least one time in your life you have to live somewhere rough to really appreciate where you feel secure.
I also have a beautiful house in my home town, even though my bedroom has been needed to be decorated for years, there is a sense of empathy there. You know those awful choices you make as a teenager that when you're a little older you just think "what the fuck teenage self"... yeah that's my room now. But I still love it, as that's where I became who I am today.
But do I call either of them my actual home? The truth is I love both of these places. Both have people I have come to know and love over my lifetime, and when I'm in one place there will always be a part of me that misses the other. So really I am writing this blog to let everyone know, who makes my life so amazing in both "homes" that I am truly thankful, and appreciative to have them in my life. I know it's a big slab of cheese, but hey, its Christmas :).

"You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place."
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment